Surgery day itself went well. Felt a bit nervous but was also excited. It wasn't like my wisdom tooth surgery last year which was just UGHHS. There was no pain at all and just slight physical discomfort. The freaky part was psychological. It was a spooky feeling, being pinned down by your eyes. You are fully conscious and can see all the lights, hear the sounds, smells...
There were 2 nurses assisting the doctor. One of the nurses kept talking to me through-out the procedure. I think they need to keep the patient as calm as possible so we can follow instructions and minimize eye movement. They gave me a valium tablet before the operation so that probably helped a lot.
After the op, I could see but vision was hazy. I had to wear the eye-guard and take a 3-hr nap. When I woke up, my vision was supposed to be much better.
But when I woke up, my vision didn't seem any improved. By then, it was night time. I had been told to expect to see glare and halos, which will slowly reduce over time. But being told that you will see halos and actually seeing them is 2 different things.
Here's a pic showing what a normal person sees..... and what I started seeing...


So the scary part for me was not the surgery itself. It was the night after the surgery when I saw lights 3X as big and started to get freaked out. Thinking...omg... what if something has gone wrong and I'm stuck with this for the rest of my life??!!
There's a lot of online literature about lasik surgery and post-operative complications. I found this blog site where lots of ppl write about their experiences and provide a support group for each other.
http://www.mylasiksurgery.com/?page_id=2
As of today, I've completed my 1-week post-surgery eye check and doc says everything is healing well. I actually have 20/20 vision in my left eye. The glare and halos are still there but doc says it will slowly diminish over the next few months. Doc is happy with my results as my previous power was high. If doc is happy, that's good enough for me then. I can be patient and wait :-)
4 comments:
Congratulations, Flo. My wife consantly talks about getting Lasik, maybe someday she will do it like you did! Me, I am reasonably happy with my eyes as they are. I am nearsighted and my 'natural' distance for seeing things clearly is just right where the monitor sits:) Which is also the distance I read books at. So for me I need glasses only for driving.....
Maybe she will! I'm very happy that I did mine. I think it's one of the best things I have ever done for myself :)
Can't believe you really did it! Anyway, happy for you. See you soon!
Hi Flo. Three months have passed since your lasik surgery. Is the experience at this point any different than it was at the time of the surgery?
Post a Comment