Greetings from Yankee-land. I travelled alone to Oregon this round. Got in yesterday past midnight, picked up my car at the airport and drove to the hotel. Had a pretty good trip but am now awake at 3am in the morning with jetlag syndrome. So thought I would blog about an incident that happened at a restaurant today.
I went out to a Thai restaurant for my first dinner. Ordered my fav green curry and was happily tucking in. There were only a few other ppl dining. Half-way during my meal, an American couple came in and sat at the table behind me.
I could hear them talking quite clearly. At first, I didn't pay much attention as I was too busy stuffing my face. Then later I pricked up my ears when I heard the woman speaking about dining alone because I wondered if she was refering to me. She was talking about how she hated eating alone, and describing a traumatic past incident when she had been forced to eat alone. The conversation went on something like this:
Woman: Have you had to eat alone before?
Man: Yeah, lots of times.
Woman: I don't like eating alone
Man: When we are married, we can always have dinner together and you won't have to eat alone. We are soul-mates, which means we are 2 people who really understand and know each other well
Woman: Do you really mean that?
Man: Yes
Woman: Oh, I love you
Man: I love you too
At that point, I wondered whether I was really in a restaurant or had accidentally stumbled onto a soap opera movie set. It's a good thing I had my back to them so my facial expressions was hidden. But I couldn't resist doing a few wretching and gagging sounds once I was out in the car park :)
But this post is not all fun and games. Here's my 2-cent worth of thoughts to ponder...
1) American culture is prone to the melodramatic. Is this real or are ppl imagining the ideal life on a TV set?
2) Fear of being alone is not a reason to be with someone
3) I have a phobia of NCP ppl (my self-coined acronym for "Needy Clingy ppl")
4 comments:
Hi Flo,
My guess is, your insticts are correct .. they were playing up to you. My brother did something like that once, maybe 15 yrs ago. We were in Indianapolis, I think for a show, and during the break we went to the restroom. While there he turned to me and said 'would you work in Indiana if you could? (refering to the lack of good jobs in Indiana causing ppl to get an education and then leave the state). I said i probably would be still there if I could be so. After we left he told me that the guy in the stall next to us was the Governer. Be had come up with that question to make a statement. I was very unhappy about that, I felt I had been used.
Talking about melodramic...about 8 years ago one of my younger sisters and her hubby came down to visit me in Florida. It was her first time to Florida; indeed, at that time they had not traveled much and so were unused to traveling. For some reason they flew into the much further away Miami International rather than the Ft Lauderdale airport.
She was pregnant and true to form, after they landed and got in the car she became terribly nausaus. He absolute had to stop the car and so pulled into the far corner of the next gas station. While she was heaving in the bushes a bunch of police cars pulled in, sirens blaring, cornering some guys at the other end, hanging around the pay phone. It was a bust of a drug deal going down. And they couldn't get out of danger as my sister was in uncontrollable heaves and couldn't move a foot. So they were innocents caught in the line of fire and could do nothing about it.
Later they asked how I could live there with all the drug stuff happening on every corner. I told them truthfully that I had never seen or even heard of anything like that before ever happening down here, outside of the movies. I don't think they believed me. In any case they've never been back.
I truly agree with you on the part "Fear of being alone is not a reason to be with someone". But look around us, so many people do that.
Time for an update :)
Post a Comment